A Travellerspoint blog

March 2009

Pitcairn Island Adventure 8

Off to Henderson

sunny 30 °C
View Pitcairn March 2009 on erodrigo's travel map.

Tomorrow morning we set sail again on the “luxury yacht” Bounty Bay; we are of to our third Pitcairn Island, Henderson Island.
I am on the one hand sad to leave and on the other happy we get to see the third of the four Pitcairn Islands.
I am sad because it has been such a beautiful week with all the lovely and friendly people I met and with the Warren family spoiling me rotten with marvellous hospitality and excellent food.
So for the next two weeks there will be no more blog until I reach an Internet café in French Polynesia.
I am sure I will have lots to tell you about all the things that gone wrong on our trip to Henderson Island and than back via Temoe atoll to Mangareva, in the French Polynesian Gambier Islands.
From Mangareva it will be another 4-hour flight to Tahiti.
So just be patient and I will tell you all about it in two weeks time.
I wish to thank all the people I met on Pitcairn Island and especially; Jay and Carol Warren and their family for treating me like a king while I was on the island, and Andrew, Paul and Sue for the fun and drinks we had on the two ‘party’ nights.
Just one recommendation for people who are thinking about visiting Pitcairn Island; what are you waiting for get here, it is beautiful and marvellous, for more information go to www.visitpitcairn.pn

Posted by erodrigo 17:58 Archived in Pitcairn Islands Comments (0)

Pitcairn Island Adventure 7

The good life

sunny 30 °C
View Pitcairn March 2009 on erodrigo's travel map.

The last two days I have been walking around the island and had another party.
I’ve walked Pitcairn’s first Eco trail, this is a wonderful easy walk leading up to Christians cave.
Along the route you’ll find plaques explaining you everything about the flora and fauna found on Pitcairn. It tells you about the endemic species and the species brought over by the first Polynesian settlers and offcourse the species brought over since the resettlement in 1790 by the Bounty mutineers.
The people I am staying with are mentioned on the plaques because Carol rediscovered a plant that was thought to be extinct, she saved it just in time before a landslide on Tedside destroyed the new found plant. Now it is replanted along the Eco trail and being kept in the greenery of endemic plants.
At the end of the Eco trail there is a last plaque warning you that if you wish to walk up further to Christians cave, you better remove all the prickly seeds before you come back down on to the trail and into Adamstown, because the vegetation upon the ridge is very harmful for other flora and will take its place and destroy it.
In the afternoon I went down to the Landing in Bounty Bay to take some pictures and there where some children, along with their parents to play in the landing dock. This is an ideal place for children to enjoy the ocean, because it is semi sheltered from the ocean and so if the seas aren’t to rough the swimming is good. Some of the children had surfing boards and they put them on the longboat ramp, took a sprint, jumped up their boards and surfed down the ramp into the water.
While I was there a few of the smaller boats came back from their fishing trip, one boat was from Christian’s café and it had a box full of Red Coral trout, all for the Friday evening dinner at the café. Also a boat came back with Paul and a friend, they had been spear fishing and caught some big fishes.
I was lucky there were a lot of people around so I could hitch a ride back up the hill of difficulty. The name does credit to the climb up from the landing up to the Edge, because if you are going to walk it, you better take along enough water. It is a climb up to 70 metres but really steep. Just when you are about to leave a warning sign is placed warning you for speed cameras. No worries, they are not around it was a joke from someone and along with the sigh they sticked an old camera up there.
In the evening around 18.30 hours I walked down to Christian’s café. Every Friday there is a dinner with a choice of three courses. This evening it was a choice of roast beef, sausages or fish. For 16 New Zealand dollars (about $9 US) you get a very big full plate of good food. Before and after the dinner people sit around and talk and have a few drinks.
It is open on a Friday evening, because on Saturday it is Sabbath and the only day of from work here on Pitcairn. Sabbath is the official day here, because the official church on Pitcairn is Seventh Day Adventists.
After the dinner some people were invited to come up to Paul and Sue’s place for an evening of Darts and drinks. My cousin and me where welcome too and we had a wonderful time, playing Darts, talking and exchanging jokes. Paul and Sue serve Whale’s tooth shots, these are liquors served in a Whales tooth (from a sperm whale).
The teeth have been hollowed out and hold about the same amount of liquor as a normal shot glass. But since you are holding a big ivory tooth the drinks taste so much better.
Around three in the morning it was about time to go back home and turn in for a good night sleep.
Yesterday on Sabbath I went snorkelling in the morning, I was supposed to go diving, but after the party Friday evening I rather not took the risk. The water around the island is very clear again, and when I jumped in I saw the bottom. It looked about a few metres deep, but the two people who went diving said the bottom was on 18 metres, this just shows you how clear the water around the island is.
In the afternoon we went up to highest point to have a family barbeque.

All the family of the people I am staying at came up and brought lots of very good and wonderful tasting food. Everybody brought chairs along and we had a few good laughs of the state our “Luxury yacht” Bounty Bay is in.
At sundown we all packed up headed back down again, and I turned in for the night because I had some catching up sleep to do.

Posted by erodrigo 09:39 Archived in Pitcairn Islands Comments (0)

Pitcairn Island Adventure 6

Getting to know the island

sunny 30 °C
View Pitcairn March 2009 on erodrigo's travel map.

After the party last night I had to wake somewhat early because the Post Office was open. It is open three mornings a week and beside the normal stamps you buy for sending your cards, they have a beautiful collection of Pitcairn stamps. So I bought some nice looking FDC’s (First Day Covers) of among the other things a whole collection of the Bounty.
After that I put the cards in the mail and they will be picked up by the supply ship 2nd of April. The ship takes it back to Tahiti and from there on it is send to Auckland in New Zealand. From here it gets send all around the world, to whatever country you address it to, and all of that service for just one New Zealand dollar, where else around the world can you get so much service for such a small amount of money? So do not be alarmed if you send postcards from Pitcairn and they are not there when you come home, just remember that Pitcairn is dependent on supply ships for many things and they only arrive here every three months.
I heard another strange thing, at least it is really strange to me, the New Zealand or British authorities decided that there is no more money for a doctor on the island, so soon they will be without one. But the strangest part is there is money for a Social worker and New Zealand policemen. It seems to me a doctor is much more useful than the other people, because they are so remote that when something bad happens it can take a while before you are in a hospital.
This afternoon the daughter of my host took us up to the trail of Garnets point.
We walked over a small ridge to the end of the trail and had an amazing overview of Adamstown and the rugged cliffs below. I would not recommend this trail if you are afraid of heights, because on both sides of the trail, you have some pretty steep drop offs. But the view is absolutely worth the walk.
Around 16.30 we went to the town square, because every fortnight (2 weeks) people gather here and trade and sell the things they have been making at home. There was a lot of good food around and it looked to me more people had the same idea because there was some trading done.
The nice part was that Father Jay first made a prayer and after that the trading started and next to the trading there was also a kind of raffle. There were two sealed boxes and a huge watermelon, on a board you could write your name down and guess the weight of each of the three items. I was picked as one of the winners apparently I had a good sense of how heavy the watermelon was and so I won a 5,3 kilo heavy watermelon. The only thing about me winning it is that I have to supply an item for the next raffle in two weeks.
We have had warm weather everyday since we arrive, but I heard that it has not rained on Pitcairn for two months now. So I hope as soon as we leave the people here can have the much-desired rain
Well I have until Sunday to find something; because that is the day the skipper is planning on returning to Mangareva via Temoe atoll.
Even tough by than we have been here for 5 nights and 6 days I still think it is quick, because the island is very beautiful and the people here are very friendly, so what are you waiting for come over and visit. www.visitpitcairn.pn

Posted by erodrigo 20:22 Archived in Pitcairn Islands Comments (0)

Pitcairn Island Adventure 5

Home stay on Pitcairn Island

sunny 30 °C
View Pitcairn March 2009 on erodrigo's travel map.

After we landed on Ships landing in Bounty bay we where welcomed by the immigration officer and our hosts. Since there are no hotels on Pitcairn you stay at the local residents. This is so much better than a stay at a hotel because you learn much more about a place talking to people than just staying at some hotel.
I am staying at Jay and Carol Warren and they really spoil me with an abundance of wonderful food and their marvellous hospitality.
Tuesday I walked around Adamstown, visiting the town’s square, where the Bounty’s anchor is and when I walked up to Adams grave I past a canon from the Bounty.
Pitcairn is a really beautiful island and there is much more trees and green than I ever expected.
Yesterday we took a Quad bike tour around the island. This was so good; we saw all the highlights, Tedside, St Pauls (the pool) Down rope and had lunch at the highest point, which is about 1100 feet above sea level. We just went all around and one sight was even more spectacular and beautiful then the other.
We were lucky enough to find Mrs. T standing in the middle of the road. Mrs. T is a giant turtle that lives on the island. Our host gave her a melon, but at first she was careful and hissed at us when we came to close.

On our way back she was much more enthusiastic and was enjoying her melon.
In the evening we had a blast of a party at Andrews place. It is at the moment the highest located house at the island. The party was in honour of his fathers demise 5 years ago.
The island is full of tropical fruit, Papaya, Pineapple, Coconut, Oranges, Banana, Lemon, you name it and it is here so I am really enjoying the fruit salads my hosts make.
Pitcairn lives up to all my expectations and more. If you are thinking about visiting, stop thinking and go. You will find more information on www.visitpitcairn.pn

Posted by erodrigo 09:26 Archived in Pitcairn Islands Comments (0)

Pitcairn Island Adventure 4

Off to Pitcairn Island

sunny 27 °C
View Pitcairn March 2009 on erodrigo's travel map.

At 3.30 in the morning just when we where about to hoist anchor and steam to Pitcairn an oil line sprung and the whole aft deck was splattered with oil. Our trusted Jack had to work for 5 hours to get the problem fixed. But finally he did and we where able to leave at 9 in the morning. It will take up to 20 hours to cover the 120 km (75 miles) from Oeno to Pitcairn
When the Pitcairn people go to Oeno, like us they use GPS to navigate. They take 2 longboats fill it with everything they need including 20 litre barrels of fresh water and they make the trip in 9 hour. You do the math!
After a few hours problem number …. (I lost track) arose. Due to the oil line breaking there was now some diesel fuel in the oil lines. But there is nothing Jack can do at open sea so we headed on.
Finally at 2.30 in the morning we reached Pitcairn Island.

Posted by erodrigo 20:54 Archived in Pitcairn Islands Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 5 of 8) Page [1] 2 » Next